POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Orthographic support broken : Re: Orthographic support broken Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orthographic support broken
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Jan 2002 18:46:58
Message: <3c4a0572@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226> , Gergely
Vandor <ger### [at] vandordatanethu>  wrote:

>> job000208:
>>
>> with orthographic camera objects disappear when "angle" keyword is
>> used
>
> This is not a good description of the bug reported (by me). The camera worked
> exactly as expected in this scene, but due to some problem related to vista
> buffer, objects started to disappear in certain cases. (This was confirmed by
> "advanced users", the bug disappears when the vista buffer is turned off.)

It may not look like your bug report, that doesn't mean it doesn't describe
the actual problem and its cause.  The actual cause of a problem does not
have to match your interpretation of the cause, but the source code and what
it does that causes the problem.

> It  seems that you never checked the actual scene, and didn't even read the
> bug report carefully.

If you think this, fine.

> My bug report does not justify the changes you've in my opinion.

I am not going to get into a discussion about this.

>> Reported: http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/19674/
>>
>> Solution: It turns out this never was a bug. 'angle' works exactly as
>> advertised in the manual.  The problem is the user specified the
>> camera type after the angle, which assumed it was applied to a
>
> Again, this is simply wrong.

No, it isn't.  The changes seen when using the "angle" keyword are caused by
the direction vector length which is changed by "angle" as you can read in
the manual.  The vista buffer code apparently does not expect these changes
and thus causes the objects to "disappear", which simply means there are no
intersection tests because the vista buffer has "optimized" them away based
on the camera.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde